Pocket CHIP - Is it any good for Sunvox?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
teamoth

Pocket CHIP - Is it any good for Sunvox?

Post by teamoth »

Hiya, so I just found out about the Pocket CHIP today and that it will run Sunvox. I get the impression from the YouTube video and googling that there are audio quality/processor limitations and I'm wondering if there are any Sunvox users that have spent time using the CHIP that can report back with a comparison of what it's like say compared to Sunvox on a phone/Palm/pocketpc etc? I've always been a fan of portable devices that can run Sunvox and have physical qwerty keyboards on which you can play notes (like the Jornada 720), but all the portable with-keyboard devices I've used before have been old and lacked processing power. What's it like on the CHIP? Cheers, Teamoth
spktkpkt

Re: Pocket CHIP - Is it any good for Sunvox?

Post by spktkpkt »

Interesting question, i also looking for such a device. The specs are: 1GHz ARM v7, 512 MB Ram, Mali 400 GPU - like the first generation Raspberry Pi, maybe you own one of them. I read (i guess it was here in the forums) that the sound is very noisy, which may can be fixed somewhat by removing the composite connection.

Also interesting, but expensive and the OS is...: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd- ... e-laptop#/
teamoth

Post by teamoth »

That GPD thing also looks interesting for Sunvox usage, but kinda pricey...
Yeah I got an older Raspberry Pi, but I don't think I've ever got round to trying Sunvox on it. I just use it with a version of XBMC and an old projector to watch films and TV downloads and it's great for that.
Hoping there's an experienced Sunvox user out there who's been using the Pocket CHIP who can give us the lowdown!
Teamoth
squidmissile

Post by squidmissile »

I recently preordered one. I can give a review after I get it.
Made the purchase just to run SunVox on it anyway. Haha
teamoth

Post by teamoth »

Hi squidmissile, yeah I'd like to hear how you find it with Sunvox.
I'm also only interested in it for Sunvox as well!
Alex_Bjorg

Post by Alex_Bjorg »

spktkpkt wrote: The specs are: 1GHz ARM v7, 512 MB Ram, Mali 400 GPU - like the first generation Raspberry Pi
That information is correct, but just wanted to point out that the first Raspberry Pi is an ARM v6 SoC at 700MHz, while the CHIP has a ARM v7 SoC at 1GHz.

The CHIP is more powerful by a decent margin.
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

I recently got a CHUWI Hi8,. has full HD screen, runs win10 and Android.
the sound is good through the headphone port,. I get; (32bit) 44100 Hz from sunvox about..,
is similar price,. and rather useful. however battery is weak, but I use for travel with plugs around, so not an issue, comes with a charger.

the CHIP thing looks interesting as well,. not sure my reason to get one, though..,
squidmissile

Post by squidmissile »

Well I've been thinking on what to say for this review for a while now. I've had my PocketCHIP for almost two months now. And well...
teamoth wrote:...I'm wondering if there are any Sunvox users that have spent time using the CHIP that can report back with a comparison of what it's like say compared to Sunvox on a phone/Palm/pocketpc etc?...
I'm here. At long last. Lol :D
teamoth wrote: I've always been a fan of portable devices that can run Sunvox and have physical qwerty keyboards on which you can play notes (like the Jornada 720), but all the portable with-keyboard devices I've used before have been old and lacked processing power. What's it like on the CHIP? Cheers, Teamoth
The CHIP is definitely one of those devices lacking processing power as far most modern machines are concerned but at least it's new. My parents had a pocket PC that I tried running SunVox on once. I'm going to say it's definitely above that or the Jornada 720 or any other handheld PC like that out there. I never owned a Raspberry Pi but I'm going to say it sits right around there in terms of power. (If memory of the various differences in Pi boards serves me right that is.) It's literally a handheld computer at a super affordable price.

As far audio quality and SunVox goes, Next Thing Co. installed the lofi-sunvox linux arm build. I assume it's the same one that runs on the Raspberry Pi. Some people have had issues with the headphone jack and stated that these issues went away by using a pair of headphones with a trrs compatible connector or just using trrs converter. I haven't ran into that though. The PocketCHIP has a resistive touch screen (so there's no multitouch) as well that I make use of a lot when in SunVox. I'm use to using the mobile version of SunVox so the touch screen has been a big help to me but the keyboard shortcuts are real a plus as well.

I haven't had any too many issues other than the keyboard actually being SUPER clicky, and tad bit rough on my finger tips. And the battery life of the PocketCHIP being a bit short, like 5 hours. But those aren't really serious, IMO. They can be solved easily when I have the time and cash to spare. Other than that I've been doing good.
teamoth

Post by teamoth »

Hey squidmissile, thanks for the review of the PocketCHIP. I may get one at some point... Teamoth