Help with MIDI Connection

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
ValourWinds

Help with MIDI Connection

Post by ValourWinds »

So I'm running into an issue here where I can't control any midi functions with SunVox

I'm using an iPad Air to use the software, and my audio interface connected to the iPad is the Apogee Duet, and I am using a Korg nanoKEY2 midi controller.

The controller is plugged in via a USB bus-powered 'male mini USB2' cable, from the nanoKEY2, to the Apogee Duet's USB MIDI-In port.

I can see the LED lit up on the controller, so I know it's receiving power from the cable, or connection, but even when I set the MIDI settings in SunVox's preferences to "Duet USB", no matter how many times I press the controllers keys, it's just not sending or receiving the midi messages on SunVox's end, hence, I'm not hearing a sound out of a SunVox synth generator, or otherwise.

I actually downloaded a free app from the App Store called "Midi Monitor" to see if the iPad is even picking up any midi and the first thing that registers when I open the app up is the following: Midi Output found: Duet USB, Midi Input found: Duet USB

Still though.. no notes are being made.. is there something I'm doing wrong here? Kind of at a loss, and I really just wanted to compose..
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Help with MIDI Connection

Post by NightRadio »

Hello!

1) Do you see some small blinking boxes (MIDI activity indicators, top left corner of the Module view) when presses the nanoKEY buttons?
2) Please also try to set the MIDI input channel to ANY in the SunVox MIDI preferences.
Rondobotic

Post by Rondobotic »

Hi There, can you use midi over bluetooth with Sunvox?

I have been trying to use Apollo to set up a bluetooth connection between my Ipad mini and my Iphone.

I have both connected and in preferences on my iphone I select apollo for the midi connection and then allow midi on a module, however I cannot get the midi keyboard in the Apollo software to play any notes on the iphone sunvox session.

Does anyone know of any better ways to get my 2 I devices talking midi in sunvox?

Thanks!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Does anyone know of any better ways to get my 2 I devices talking midi in sunvox?
The same questions :)
1) Do you see some small blinking boxes (MIDI activity indicators, top left corner of the Module view) when presses the buttons on your MIDI controller?
2) Please also try to set the MIDI input channel to ANY in the SunVox MIDI preferences.
Rondobotic

Post by Rondobotic »

I will double check the any in the midi preferences. I thought I had done that, I am just new to I devices.

I have had Midi work fine when using my PC and USB midi controller but the midi over bluetooth thing I am not sure about when trying to use my ipad as a controller for the Iphone.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Please tell me what MIDI devices do you see in the SunVox -> Preferences -> MIDI.
The channel is ANY ?
Rondobotic

Post by Rondobotic »

So last night I set the channels in all 4 sections to any.

I had apollo as the midi device selected.

On my ipad I set up apollo as connection A and iphone was connection B, all connected.

I could control sunvox on the ipad using apollo on the ipad, but I coould not control sunvox on the iphone using apollo on the ipad.

I am certain it is not a sunvox thing, I am just noob at i devices so I am probably doing something wrong. But it would be nice to have the 2 talking so i could use the nice big screen on the ipad to play some tunes on my nice powerful iphone.
800A

Post by 800A »

Sorry to reopen an old thread but I have recently tried to use as well Apollo with iPhone and iPad without success!

So, on the iPad in Sunvox I see Apollo in the midi connection, set it to "any" channel and when I use the midi keyboard on the iPhone
I see a green little square in Sunvox each time I press a key. I assume that's a good sign!

But nevertheless I can't hear anything, meaning that the devices in Sunvox are not playing.
The same thing happens when I try to use the midi app just on the iPad, except that I can't check whether the green light is on because of the Apollo app in the foreground.

Any ideas anyone?!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Hm... I will once again carefully check this before the 1.9.3 release, but seems that SunVox still have some bug with the public MIDI input port...
If briefly, SunVox has the public MIDI input port, which is always open for all apps. This port can receive the MIDI events from any channel. So you don't need to change any MIDI settings in SunVox at all. Just set SunVox as the destination in your MIDI host app.
But... For some reason this public port works only when the first MIDI controller is enabled and its channel is set to ANY :(

Here is the temporary solution.
1. Open SunVox -> Preferences -> MIDI -> remove all the controllers here.
2. Set MIDI controller 1 to some unused device; for example - "Network session 1".
3. Set the channel of this device to ANY.
4. Select some SunVox synth.
5. Go to another MIDI application: i tested it with MIDI Wrench, Apollo and littlemidi:
  • Apollo: in MIDI routing enable SunVox in the left column;
  • littlemidi: Settings -> CoreMIDI Outputs -> SunVox -> enable Seq A/B out;
  • some other app: set the SunVox as the MIDI destination.
Also you always can use an alternative way, where the SunVox connects to another apps with the virtual MIDI port.
1. Open some MIDI host (Apollo, Cubasis, etc.)
2. Open SunVox -> Preferences -> MIDI -> select the appropriate MIDI input device (with the same name as the MIDI host app). For example - Cubasis.
3. Select some SunVox synth.
4. Go to the MIDI host and enable output to the Virtual MIDI. For example, in Apollo you need to choose the "Apollo" MIDI destination. In Cubasis - Virtual MIDI.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Finally i found the bug :) Will be fixed in 1.9.3