MultiSynth Velocity Map

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
Paul

MultiSynth Velocity Map

Post by Paul »

Please could someone point me to a detailed explanation of how to set up and use the velocity maps feature in Multisynth modules? I'd like to put together some velocity layered multi-samples.
Thanks.
gilzad

Re: MultiSynth Velocity Map

Post by gilzad »

It seems that this is not possible yet, but I also wish to have this feature. However you can work around it by ducking one instrument and letting the other one pass a gate. But this is pretty much of an overhead just to map different velocities to different instruments.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Ok, thanks. So what CAN one do with the velocity map control?
gilzad

Post by gilzad »

Hi Paul,

here is an example:
Attach one MultiSynth (A) to two further ones (B and C).
On MultiSynth B, set the left half of all its notes to zero velocity.
On MultiSynth C, set the right half of all its notes to zero velocity.
Attach MutliSynth B to a triangle Generator, attach MultiSynth C to a sine Generator. Connect B and C to the output.

Now you have a split keyboard with real oscillators for each instrument.

So with the given modular capabilities in SunVox, we can do a lot actually. Another thing you could to is different tunings. Instead of having the default chromatic tuning, you can optimize your tuning for specific scales (one commercial band that uses SunVox does this). You can even have a microtonal tuning over your keyboard.

Based on my earlier description I have added an example of a selfmade multilayered intrument in SunVox. It consits of two layers (high, low). You can exchange the Generators (high layer, low layer) by anything you want, to have different sounds in your layers. The Threshold of the "Trigger" specifies when to switch the instrument.
Attachments
multilayer_example.sunvox
Multilayered instrument example in SunVox, 2 layers
(7.08 KiB) Downloaded 598 times
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks, that's really helpful
Paul

Post by Paul »

Ok, I get it now. Velocity map doesn't react according to incoming MIDI velocity, it sets outgoing velocity according to note pitch value. Sorry to be slow on the uptake.
Dranorter

Post by Dranorter »

So with the given modular capabilities in SunVox, we can do a lot actually. Another thing you could to is different tunings. Instead of having the default chromatic tuning, you can optimize your tuning for specific scales (one commercial band that uses SunVox does this). You can even have a microtonal tuning over your keyboard.
I can't figure out a good way to use alternate tunings for multiple instruments. This is probably simply because I haven't learned much about Sunvox yet... but, it seems like I would have to redo all the MultiSynths (one for each note) for each instrument. I mean, since I don't see any way of selecting them all at once to copy and paste, I'll at least have to select them individually (one for every single note...) and copy them somewhere else. Is there any trick that might avoid this (while still having the instruments be able to play together or separately)?
gilzad

Post by gilzad »

Hi Dranorter,

unfortunately your description is also the only way I know right now.
nopcorp

Post by nopcorp »

HI gilzad.

you seem knowledgeable about the Velocity Map parameter of the multisynth module, so i'd lke to ask you a question.

Is it possible to "zoom" in on the octave range that is displayed in the velocity map. Because right now when I look at it I see: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10, which corresponds all the octaves. But how about being able to "zaoom" in on a specific octave so i can control the volume mapping in finer detail.

What comes to mind is how the theremin works in Sunvox. I can play the touch theremin using all 10 octaves or I can narrrow down to just one octave.

Maybe I'm asking for too much. :)
gilzad

Post by gilzad »

Hi nopcorp!

The most knowledgeable is still Night himself though ;)

Unfortunately I don't see an option to zoom into a reduced range of notes. But as a workaround I actually find that stretching the section of the module-parameters helps. You'll have a more accurate access to each note of an octave then, if that's the intention.

Hope that helps.
Dranorter

Post by Dranorter »

gilzad wrote:Hi Dranorter,

unfortunately your description is also the only way I know right now.
I figured out that metamodule does an excellent job of this. So I have a single module with all the notes tuned to a particular scale (in my case BP), and then I load that module as many times as I want. Right now the module outputs from a generator, I don't know if it would work to have a multisynth directly connected to Output instead. But at least, I can set the parameters differently on each metamodule to get some variety of voices.
gilzad

Post by gilzad »

Aaah, I had to think about your post a bit until I got it.

No, unfortunately a Metamodule doesn't pass the notes on to a receiver, if its inner MultiSynth is attached to its output. But if this feature is implemented sometime, then one could easily build MetaModules that are preconfigured for certain scales. Then you'd simply attach that MetaModule to any type of Generator (Sampler/Synth) and play it with predefined pitches. Quite a cool idea of yours, I have to say.
queries

Post by queries »

gilzad, Dranorter... the features needed are now in 1.9.3!

Here is an example of alternative scales... could use some CPU optimization, but it works!

https://github.com/metrasynth/gallery/t ... microtonal