Newcomer... AND OVERWHELMED!!

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
Artematopeya

Newcomer... AND OVERWHELMED!!

Post by Artematopeya »

Hi there,

I'm a newcomer to Sunvox and I'm simply overwhelmed by the app. I've been trying to find a few starting tips for an easier transfer but to no avail. I just can't digest so much info. Any kindhearted user that could possibly at least reply YES/NO so that I can persevere as to certain funcions or simply forget about??

I've using a wav library of samples indexed using sfz files. Does Sunvox support sfz's?

If not, and in order to keep on using these samples, does sunvox support keyboard mapping; if so, how do samples must to be named (sequentially, note-wise...)

If not, how can I convert these wav files into xi instruments? Does xi support multiple mapped files?

Is there any pdf sunvox manual?

Is there any compilation of tweaking tips (i've read thru the forum and found many scattered useful parameter combinations to create certain sounds, effects, etc)

Is there any recommended, general XM sequencing manual that copes with bpm and other general xm programming basics?

Tks++++++++++++++++ by a :%) but :Yahoo!: mobile musician
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Newcomer... AND OVERWHELMED!!

Post by NightRadio »

Welcome to SunVox community! :)
I've using a wav library of samples indexed using sfz files. Does Sunvox support sfz's?
Not directly. But these is SFZ->XI converter: https://github.com/ckald/Samplicity And XI format is supported by SunVox.
If not, and in order to keep on using these samples, does sunvox support keyboard mapping;
You can split different samples in the Editor of the Sampler module. There are 128 slots for 128 samples. Each sample slot has its own key range.
Also you can split any samples and synths using several MultiSynth modules with Velocity map.
Is there any pdf sunvox manual?
Yes: https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/manual.php
Is there any compilation of tweaking tips (i've read thru the forum and found many scattered useful parameter combinations to create certain sounds, effects, etc)
Check SunVox video tutorials: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1223
Is there any recommended, general XM sequencing manual that copes with bpm and other general xm programming basics?
I believe you can find everything here: https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/manual.php
But don't hesitate to ask any questions in the forum.
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

use .wav samples instead of .sfz.

from KVR : "SFZ is only a text file describing what to do with WAV files"

In the modules section hit the wrench button, new module, sampler.
Connect it to output.
touch sampler module so it is selected.
slide the bar in the middle over to the right, you can see all the parameter sliders of the sampler module.
Hit edit, the sampler window opens.
Hit samples.
Slide the bar to the right.
touch the box with the zero in it, directly below where it says "samples" (each one of those boxes is a sample slot, you can have a separate sample for every key on the keyboard if you want to).
Hit the wrench key, load.
Go to the folder with your .wav files,
select the .wav file you want to use for sample slot zero, hit O.K.
Your sample is now loaded into sample slot zero.
You might want to trim the beginning or end of the sample or set loop points.
pull the bar over to the left side so you can see the sample waveform.
Use the zoom buttons.
I guess you will use short .wavs quickly looping as if they were oscillators so you will probably only need to hit wrench, hit select all, hit set loop.
The red flags mark the beginning and end points of the loop. you can drag them around to different positions if you want.

Now place the sample on the key you want and set relative note.

drag the central bar back to the right.
use the loop slider, set it to 1 (loop forward)
If your samples original pitch was note C on octave 4 move the relative note slider,
youll see it moving on the keyboard at the bottom of the sampler window, move it to C4.
Touch that key once. youll see it highlighted in grey.
your sample is looped and assigned to note C4.
You can add more samples to each key on the keyboard if you want by repeating process on each sample slot and setting different relative note and "note range assign" (the grey highlighting when you touch the keys at the bottom of the sampler window).

If you want to use .xi ...hit sampler module then load button directly (dont need to use edit button to load .xis in sample slots)
If you want to load only the sample from the .xi into a sample slot do as above
then when you get "load format not recognized" hit "load raw",
then "select data format, 16 bit",
then mono or stereo...
you will get the sample from the .xi, with original pitch marked, without the envelope information.

I think there may be a bug with relative note slider at the moment, seems like its not working.
Last edited by El Nino on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Artematopeya

Post by Artematopeya »

Wow x2. Tks+++++. That's real support 4gs!!