SunVox - Controlling the file size?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
nickbunthan

SunVox - Controlling the file size?

Post by nickbunthan »

Hello everyone. I have a 3:32 minute long song which when exported is nearly 37 mb.
So I was wondering if there's any tricks so get a smaller file size?

Sincerely.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: SunVox - Controlling the file size?

Post by NightRadio »

Try to use the smaller samples. Remove all unused areas from your samples. And use mono samples instead of stereo.
organic io

Post by organic io »

I noticed he said when exported. Do you mean to WAV? 37mb sounds about right for a 3:32 song. If you want to compress it without losing any fidelity, there is flac --> http://flac.sourceforge.net/ , however the filesize will still probably be 20-25 MB, obviously you can't compress it too much if you want full fidelity.

Otherwise, mp3 is the most common format for distributing music. But I would only recommend that for your "final version" which you are ready to distribute, since it is "lossy" compression, you are losing audio fidelity in the process. So if you still plan on doing any more post-production on this file (for example normalizing, EQ, etc), then I recommend leaving it as WAV or flac first, and then encoding to mp3 when you are done.

I hope this helps & answers your question?
Darkhog

Post by Darkhog »

Same as organic.io, but I'd suggest using OGG Vorbis instead. It has better quality to file size ratio than mp3 (48kbps OGG sounds about same as 96kbps mp3).
organic io

Post by organic io »

Darkhog wrote:Same as organic.io, but I'd suggest using OGG Vorbis instead. It has better quality to file size ratio than mp3 (48kbps OGG sounds about same as 96kbps mp3).
Man I used to care about ogg, once upon a time (probably 12 years ago)... But when I realized trying to promote it was an uphill battle because mp3 was such a defacto standard, I just gave in. mp3 has been around for a very long time (in technological terms) and shows no signs of slowing down. The beauty of it is that anybody with just about any device will be able to play your mp3. If you encode ogg and somebody downloads your song who doesn't know what that is or has an unsupported device is going to give up trying.. Is it really worth it when ultimately you -want- your music to be heard?

I say encode mp3 at at least 192kbps joint stereo and you should have no problems :D
nickbunthan

Post by nickbunthan »

Thank you for your answers! - Sorry for the late response.

Which software should I use for the encoding part?

Thanks in advance :)
Darkhog

Post by Darkhog »

organic io wrote:
Darkhog wrote:If you encode ogg and somebody downloads your song who doesn't know what that is or has an unsupported device is going to give up trying.. Is it really worth it when ultimately you -want- your music to be heard?
Then he or she can recode it into mp3. There are music converters.

@nickbunthan you can use Audacity, but if you want to export to mp3 you need to pay license fee to Fraunhofer Institute and buy their codec. You can, of course download LAME MP3 encoder, but that is illegal. Good news are that OGG export comes in without additional installation (or license) needs.