MetaModule Disappears

Found a bug? Post it here.
Keres

MetaModule Disappears

Post by Keres »

I don't know if it is a bug or not, but i just experienced a really weird occurrence. I was editing a drumkit inside of a metamodule and when i hit "back" it brought me to a tune that i had been working on earlier in the afternoon. There was no instance of that metamodule with that kit in it anywhere. I had been working in several copies of Sunvox, one for the tune i was working in, and one to browse all of the latest tunes from this past month. I use Ubuntu 16.10 and i am sure that opening several copies of sunvox had something to do with this. It is also possible that sunvox with the metamodule i was editing just crapped out and what i was staring at was anther open copy from before. If anyone else has experienced this please let me know. =@
queries

Re: MetaModule Disappears

Post by queries »

When running several instances of SunVox, did you run the same binary in the same directory? If so, that was probably what caused your issue. All of the clipboard and other session information is kept in dot-files in the directory where the SunVox binary resides. So multiple instances could very well lead to information leaking or colliding between sessions as you experienced.

If you instead create separate directories for each instance of SunVox, you will have truly separate sessions that won't disturb each other.
Keres

Post by Keres »

Ah, so obvious! Thanks for the tip. Could also set up different color schemes in each instance as well?
queries

Post by queries »

Yes indeed. Each will have completely independent settings. That includes MIDI inputs, colors, fonts, default project template, file paths, and so forth.

You might be able to symlink some files to a common area. This might be useful for path history for example. Or clipboard, to be able to copy and paste between instances.

Hmm, Sounds like a good experiment and potential HOWTO doc :)
Keres

Post by Keres »

I might need help with this issue in Ubuntu because apparently those files are all stored somewhere in the home directory.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

If you need two independent copies of SunVox, create two copies of the program in different folders. For example, sunvox1/ and sunvox2/
Then go to the folder with global SunVox settings: ~/.config/SunVox
Copy the sunvox_config.ini from this folder to the sunvox1 and sunvox2.
That's it. Now you have two independent copies of SunVox, each with its own configuration file.
Keres

Post by Keres »

If you need two independent copies of SunVox, create two copies of the program in different folders. For example, sunvox1/ and sunvox2/
Then go to the folder with global SunVox settings: ~/.config/SunVox
Copy the sunvox_config.ini from this folder to the sunvox1 and sunvox2.
That's it. Now you have two independent copies of SunVox, each with its own configuration file.
ok, tried that in Xubuntu 18.10 and it's not working. the configuration just saves in `/.config/SunVox no matter what.

i tried making a second user and it can't work using something like sudo -u user2 -H /home/user2/sunvox/sunvox because the interface is for user1 and i have no permissions to things like the video and sound. what i can do is log into a shell and su root. when i run the second copy as root (out of the user2 home folder) it does make a new config file in the /root folder and works fine. problem is, i dont think it's a good idea to run stuff as root.

i would like to run several copies of sunvox and use one to write MIDI notes to the other. you can do it with one user, but it becomes more crash dangerous as you edit more and more metamodules.

maybe this is a distro-specific thing?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

ok, tried that in Xubuntu 18.10 and it's not working. the configuration just saves in `/.config/SunVox no matter what.
Here is my guess: you run the SunVox from some graphical file manager, which always sets its own working directory no matter what folder the program was launched from.
Try to launch SunVox from Midnight Commander or from pure Terminal.