Vintage 2 osc mono with pitch/filter EG and tracking emulation

yul

Vintage 2 osc mono with pitch/filter EG and tracking emulation

Post by yul »

Hello! Being a fan of vintage synths, here is my take on a very basic monophonic model for a 2 osc + filter with keyboard tracking. I know there is an analog module but I wanted to see what could be done from scratch such as having square+saw waves together through one filter.

It is a very basic setup and it could need more work (noise, LFO, more mods etc..) but I think it is important for the community to understand what is possible.

In this case, there are 2 detuned mono oscs controlled by multisynth.
Pitch/EG mod with poly synth mode also works but is more tricky so a monosynth is ideal as it is easier.

The 3rd generator is used as an EG using dirty waveform set to a straight full 100% line (full DC) with sustain set to ON.
The enveloppe controls of this generator is then used for EG.

The trick for EG is to have this generator either MONO or POLY (2 notes). This makes the difference between resetting the enveloppe after each note or not. It's a fairly small difference but can be noticed and also available in vintage synths.

This EG is first sent to pitch. The receiving generators should have the frequency mod set at 4 (important) to match the octaves.

It is also sent to filter via sound2ctrl and this you can tweak it however you want.

The keyboard tracking is set by the bottom multisynth by mapping velocity to keyboard. THis is sent to snd2ctrl for the filter cutoff. You can map your own tracking by drawing the velocity curves.

The only thing missing (hope NightRadio would add) is the glide/portamento feature which is very commonly used. I find it is not necessary for a good performance but still would be nice to have.

Cheers!
Attachments
basic pitch + filter EG no reset + tracking.sunvox
(7.35 KiB) Downloaded 451 times
basic pitch + filter EG with reset + tracking.sunvox
(7.35 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
yul

Re: Vintage 2 osc mono with pitch/filter EG and tracking emulation

Post by yul »

Added 2 more examples derived from the first by adding FX, noise osc as well as noise mod>filter. Needs a bit more work altough I like the results (if you like clunky old analog synths of course :-) )
Attachments
basic pitch+filterEGnoreset+nois mod+FX.sunvox
(9.58 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
basic pitch+filterEG noreset+noise+FX.sunvox
(8.14 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

These sound great!
RIL

Post by RIL »

Nice work! Interesting how its all connected. If you heard of the old Russian Polivox synth then this has similar tones. I was thinking earlier how cool it would be if a separate section on this forum was devoted to old vintage analogue synth patches and sounds that have been recreated by Sunvox users. That would make Sunvox even more powerful I think. I am guessing using a couple of single cycle waveforms from vintage analogues could be used just for basic sound building block then adding sunvox filters and generators. Then again the basic waveforms in Sunvox could be used to great affect and replicating a vintage synth tone on it. Quite a lot of work I would imagine. P.s Is there any way to use Midi control pitch bend and mod wheel? I can use midi for other parameters but bend and mod not assigned.
yul

Post by yul »

Glad you liked it. I really needs a bit fine tuning for sure.

In my experience, the secret in emulating vintage synths is not just the waveforms.

Its rather in the modulations, the filter characteristics and finally the little details such as sync, enveloppe reset, glide, portemanto.

Most if it can be achieved today although glide is only available in the sequencer (not in actual live playing).

It's the modulations that make the rest like using EG's, LFO's, random/S&H modulations to pitch, filter etc...

The oscillators do have a role but not as much as the above IMO unless we are talking about free running oscs (the random phase is a good replacement in Sunvox I would think) and small random modulations to detuen them.

Now if we could get SYNC and GLIDE that would be trippy. :-)
DigitalNematode

Post by DigitalNematode »

Great work and thank you.
DigitalNematode

Post by DigitalNematode »

Haven't checked it out yet :) so this gesture of gratitude was forwarded to you in good faith :P