Envelope Generator (AR/ADSR) for any parameter

cube48

Envelope Generator (AR/ADSR) for any parameter

Post by cube48 »

It's probably nothing new for modular heads out there but for me it was a revelation to find the way to quickly and easily generate simple envelopes (AR and ADSR) for any parameter. Sharing is caring so perhaps somebody else finds this handy.

Yes, I knew from one of the tut videos that I can i.e. draw the envelope in the sampler but that was kinda cumbersome. Then I realized that generator modules have envelopes. Generator + Analog Generator have simple yet sufficient Attack and Release envelope and FM module has a full ADSR. In conjunction with MultiSynth and Snd2Ctrl they can be used as comfy Envelope Generators. In the Input MultiSynth of the MetaModule I set 'Use static C5 note' for consistent volume levels. When using the FM for ADSR it can be set to low quality as we don't need the sound but volume level only, so we can spare some CPU cycles.

Check out the demo file and the dedicated EnvGen file. Sorry, I didn't manage to save it as .sunsynth (it's late night here, sleep deprivation is not good for intellectual tasks) but it works if you load it into a project as a module. To make the connections stupidly obvious in the demo file I've connected Snd2Ctl to Filter Pro's Frequency even though it could have been connected directly to the filter of the Analog Generator. Also, within the EnvGen you can switch between AR and ADSR by muting the other generator.

Edit: Previous paragraph is not true anymore. I've updated the files. They are .sunsynth files now. Demo files are in my lower post on this page (there is a limit of 3 attachments per post and .zips are not allowed). In demos the Env/LFO generators are routed through Snd2Ctl to Analog Generator's Filter Frequency.

Same procedure can be applied when creating LFO generators for any parameter. Yet I didn't find the way how to re-trigger the LFO (set phase to 0) with a short pulse from generator. Combinations of the OUT Max and OUT Min set to either 0 or 1 and vice versa on the Snd2Ctl didn't re-triggered the LFO. Any tips on re-triggering LFO from note input?
Attachments
LFOGen.sunsynth
(3.81 KiB) Downloaded 655 times
EnvGenAR.sunsynth
(2.95 KiB) Downloaded 669 times
EnvGenADSR.sunsynth
(3.1 KiB) Downloaded 763 times
Last edited by cube48 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
iaon

Re: Envelope Generator (AR/ADSR) for any parameter

Post by iaon »

I imagine you could put the LFO inside its own MetaModule and use 'Play patterns' with the set phase command on the first line.
cube48

Post by cube48 »

Thanks for the hint! Why didn't I thought of that, I'm already having LFO gen wrapped into MetaModule :) Sometimes I don't see the forest because of the trees.
cube48

Post by cube48 »

Here are the demo files.
Attachments
LFOGenDemo.sunvox
(6.48 KiB) Downloaded 572 times
EnvGenDemo.sunvox
(5.63 KiB) Downloaded 646 times
cube48

Post by cube48 »

Here is another variation on EnvGenAR. This one has doubled Attack and Release but one is inverted. Original goal was to create inverted envelope but for that we would need free running oscillator. Nonetheless this doubled AR gives you additional envelope shaping options.
Attachments
EnvGenAR2Demo.sunvox
(7.83 KiB) Downloaded 612 times
EnvGenAR2.sunsynth
(3.79 KiB) Downloaded 562 times
manganoid

Post by manganoid »

Ooooo, gonna try these :)
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

^ Same! Thanks a ton for the synths!
DigitalNematode

Post by DigitalNematode »

Nasty polymorphic worm on my system.... so I'm downloading again. Not taking chances infecting my project files. Figured I would take the time to give thanks this time around. Thank you.